I’m not dead!

…Just busy busy busy. I’m working on a lot of costumes and things. Big costume photodump coming soon, I should think. I’ve been sick, so the going has been slow.

I’m finishing up my mermaid top, and thus will be putting together the full tutorial as well. (Step-by-step progress can be seen here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5944-Miyu-s-first-shell-top!-Pic-heavy-Mini-tutorial)

I’m also finishing up one stretch velvet mermaid tail – all the pieces are cut, I’m making veining on the fins, and will be sewing the whole thing together shortly, as well as adding a few sequin “scale” patches.

I’m going to cut out the pieces for my wild-scale-print spandex tail soon as well, when I’m finished with the top. Thankfully I have a fake monofin made out of cardboard, coat hangers, and duct tape – I’m still dreaming of my own actual monofin as hard as I possibly can! 😛 I traced my friend’s Hydra monofin because I discovered I really like that monofin.

Also, finishing up my first cloak. Of course I’m ambitious and it’s a fancy cloak, I drafted the pattern based on Galadriel’s big fancy cloak from Lord of the Rings 😀

Advertisements

Crunch Time!

PANICPANICPANICPANIC!!!

Deadline’s this weekend. Last month, for some reason, I totally thought I’d have 10 more days to sew than I actually do.

Now it’s to that awesome point of the creative process wherein I panic for days. I may end up staying up a night or two to finish.

This is what an exhausted costumer looks like:

So Tired

Continue reading

A slight delay…

Hello blogosphere… It’s been a few days since my last update. Here’s why:

I finished sewing up the front of the bodice. It sits very nicely on me now! Without all those hooks and eyes on the front, there’s no puckering, so the front is nice and smooth and flat now, ideal for decorating.

So I set about to make the pattern to cut out my velvet pieces. However, the base bodice itself is made of a slightly stretchy material. This means that no matter what I do, laying it flat isn’t going to give me an accurate pattern. Add to this the fact that the velvet has just a little more stretch than the base fabric, and it means that, after cutting and sewing everything together, it may not fit me properly.

I have a solution, though – I’ll be making a duct tape double, a mannequin in my exact size and proportions. This will save me so much time and hair-pulling, since, for the first time in all the years I’ve been costuming, I’ll be able to drape, draft, and fit things properly to myself! I’m so excited!

Continue reading

A Minor Heart Attack…

I pulled up my video in progress (which is about my Broadway PotO Chandelier bead), and ALL OF MY FILES seemed to be missing. I knew I still had them, all conveniently in a folder, but Windows Movie Maker couldn’t find them! This could possibly be my fault, as I had created another folder to put that folder into, but other than that I hadn’t moved it!

Therefore, a good half hour of my evening was spent re-teaching WMM where all my files were, then another half hour was spent re-configuring all the data that had apparently decided to just shift all over to wherever it pleased. It’s finally looking like a video again, and not like a toddler got a hold of my computer.

This post is totally relevant to costuming. It is not only because I say it is, but also because it’s about my spiffing new necklace I made out of that bead – which I will be wearing with my Christine outfit (and also every day, of course).

And, because I dislike leaving a blog post without any sort of pictures to look at, here’s a picture of that necklace:

Image

I have since gone through and tightened up all the sloppy chain links. What can I say, it’s a chain I’m not allergic to that I got for $7 – I don’t mind having to do a little work to pretty it up.

FIRST BLOG POST!!!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Woohoo! Hello blogging world! *waves* This is my first blog post ever!

I’ve been meaning to start a blog for some time now, particularly for my crafting. What made me finally decide to do so was the decision to dress as Christine Daae from Phantom of the Opera for Halloween this year (really, it’s just an excuse to make things I want to wear – I don’t usually get to go anywhere for the holiday, but I wear costumes whenever I feel like it). This means that I must suck it up and stop being terrified of my sewing machine. Really, you’re going to laugh when I show you my cute little sewing machine my dad gave me. There’s absolutely nothing scary about it!

…Other than the fact that it’s a machine, and I am notoriously afraid of machines. I don’t drive, and the only reason I get along okay with blenders and juicers is because they give me tasty nutritious foodstuffs.

Well, alright… I get along just fine with sewing machine once they’re set up. It’s the whole bobbin-making and threading and tension-setting that terrifies me…

Anyways, Halloween is approaching quickly, which means I absolutely have to make friends with my machine. This is a good thing, as it means I’ll already be on a roll when I finish this costume, then I can get working on finishing all the dresses and skirts I’ve been sewing by hand for way too long (then, since one skirt can take a month of hand sewing, I get distracted and lose interest, so I have a lot of unfinished projects).

 

Bear with me, this site will be under constant construction until I get the hang of this blogging thing down…