As you all may know, I’ve been working on trying to finish my mermaid tail for a costume contest (deadline was yesterday). I finished it enough for a photoshoot! I still have to go through and put some finishing touches on it before swimming in it (such as actually making a waistband – I used a bit of fishnet as a belt to hide my unfinished waistline).
We managed to get out to a local swimming hole/park to take some photos – it was cloudy and raining, but it turns out that it was the perfect lighting! I also learned a few things about photoshoots in full mermaid costume – there were edges of towels peeking out and I positioned my fluke ends funny a few times, but I think all the shots were phenomenal anyways!
Now, without any further ado, mermaid picspam!
Well, I decided that I really didn’t feel like trying to work with 6 layers of lycra fabric at a time on a machine for my first time sewing spandex. I know I have more control with hand-sewing, and spandex is rather forgiving, so I’m having a go at sewing zig-zag stitch by hand!
Hi everyone! I’ve been making progress with my fabric (spandex) mermaid tail! I’m sewing it entirely by hand, so the going is slower than I’d like, but I finally got the main body basted together and tried it on tonight!
Click through to see more pictures!
Hi everyone! I know I haven’t posted in a while… A combination of holiday season busy-ness and getting sick knocked me out of blogging for a while… I couldn’t think of anything to say! Well, I’m not sick anymore, so here’s what I’ve been working on!
…Just busy busy busy. I’m working on a lot of costumes and things. Big costume photodump coming soon, I should think. I’ve been sick, so the going has been slow.
I’m finishing up my mermaid top, and thus will be putting together the full tutorial as well. (Step-by-step progress can be seen here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5944-Miyu-s-first-shell-top!-Pic-heavy-Mini-tutorial)
I’m also finishing up one stretch velvet mermaid tail – all the pieces are cut, I’m making veining on the fins, and will be sewing the whole thing together shortly, as well as adding a few sequin “scale” patches.
I’m going to cut out the pieces for my wild-scale-print spandex tail soon as well, when I’m finished with the top. Thankfully I have a fake monofin made out of cardboard, coat hangers, and duct tape – I’m still dreaming of my own actual monofin as hard as I possibly can! 😛 I traced my friend’s Hydra monofin because I discovered I really like that monofin.
Also, finishing up my first cloak. Of course I’m ambitious and it’s a fancy cloak, I drafted the pattern based on Galadriel’s big fancy cloak from Lord of the Rings 😀
Hi everyone! Okay, it looks like I might be able to get my ducks in a row and let my life calm down a little. I’ve been going crazy trying to set up business stuff and make sure I’m represented on all the important websites/social media! Let me take you on a little tour of my awesome new pages – with pictures of what I’ve been up to! (As always, click photos to embiggen – links to pages will be under the pictures)